Monday, May 13, 2013

Excuses of A Lazy Bum


So I made it back safely from China. Like, a long, long time ago. And since that time, I have been busy. But mostly lazy. There have been lots of exciting things happening to me since my time in China and during my trip (like losing my camera, yay!) (note: 'yay' is sarcasm), and there have been pockets of time in between the busy-ness when I could've put down into words all of those exciting things here, but like so many of my fellow youth these days, I allowed that time to be wasted on Pinterest and Facebook.

And I apologize. Because, if you read this blog for ANY reason, I think learning about the sights and sounds (and food!) of Beijing would be a pretty good reason. So I promise, I will write my memories down, if for no other reason so that I can remember them one day myself when I'm old and wrinkly. For now though, since it could be a while before I get around to that, please do enjoy this wonderful little link I have provided, a page full of short blog posts written by the other nine journalism students (and yours truly) who took the trip to Beijing with me that week.

http://journalism.indiana.edu/classwork/china_spring2013/

With my personal, not-provided-in-that-link China stories on hold for now, then, I'll give you the quick and dirty version of the past 2 1/4 months since I last blogged it up:

> I went to California for a week and had an interview with Los Angeles magazine. April 9-15. Visited my wonderful boyfriend David. We rode bikes from Venice Beach to Santa Monica, discovered some exquisite restaurants, walked around Griffith Park (hitting each other with sticks the whole time), and got to watch some Twin Peaks followed by a Q&A with Kyle MacLachlan (the impotent Dr. Trey from Sex in the City) at USC. Ah yes, and then there was that interview. Going into it, I was fairly certain I was not going to get the internship. Leaving it I was 105% certain. But just getting the interview in the first place made me feel so accomplished. I mean, it's a big city mag, and I'm a nobody from the Midwest with truly not many credits to my name. But the experience was worth it and I know I will try for them again. Haven't scared me away yet, LA. (Also, the view that office has of the Hollywood hills is gorgeous and so unfair.)
> I was a vegetarian for 3 months. Yep, surprise! I actually did it from January til April, so I was being all veggie-fied for a while without even telling you. Pretty sneaky, I know. I quit right on the 3-month mark with a delicious bite of David's chicken & waffles meal at Bruxie in Orange, CA. Side note: If you've never gone to Bruxie, your life is not yet fulfilled. Make it your mecca and go. NOW.
> I quit my job at Union Street Market. Best move of the semester. And it was long overdue.
> I made all A's (...plus some A-'s). This past semester, I took 19 credit hours, worked a part-time job, traveled to Beijing and LA, and made great grades. My overall GPA is higher than it's ever been, and I couldn't be happier. I was also accepted into the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS)--which wasn't free, I assure you, but was worth every penny of my hard-earned money. This semester was also harder on me than any I've had yet in college, not because of the courses I took but more because of personal issues (which is also why I've slacked so much in blogging, among other things). Still, I made it through with flying colors, and I'm damn proud of myself for that. I think we owe it to ourselves to celebrate our accomplishments, no matter how small.
> I decided to go for my teaching license. I've always liked teaching, and while it may take me an extra semester to graduate now, I figure, what the hell? With a degree in Journalism and a teaching license, people will never have to doubt my intentions to be poor for the rest of my life.
> I got my ear pierced. Hole #4 for my lobes. And just last week! It was like my little summer kickoff. If you know what a rook is, that's what I got. Still not sure if that's the name of the piercing or the actual part of the ear, but then, I'm not skilled in the art of hole punching skin.

I'm also within two weeks of becoming a -ty, as in twen-ty. From 20, all you have is -ty's until you reach 100. And I plan to live to 107, but still, that's a long way off. Seeing the end of my teen years horribly saddens me, but it's coming whether I like it or not. Anyway, I have two whole weeks to still be a teen and do teen things, so I can't waste time complaining. I also can't waste any more time typing because dear god, this is far too many words for a lazy bum to type. So just rest assured, this blog will once again thrive over the summer. This writer is back, and she's ready to kick some ass, MLA-style.


Cameron, Jeanine. "Excuses of A Lazy Bum." The Naked Girl Scout. 13 May 2013. Web. 13 May 2013. <http://nakedgirlscout.blogspot.com/2013/05/excuses-of-lazy-bum.html>

No comments:

Post a Comment